Investigating Power & Politics
Capital & Main is an award-winning online publication that reports from California on the most pressing economic, environmental and social issues of our time. Our mission is to expose threats to the public interest and advance progressive ideas and policies in the nation’s most populous state and one of the world’s most influential centers of commerce, culture and technology.
Winner of the 2016 Online Journalist of the Year prize from the Southern California Journalism Awards, Capital & Main has had stories co-published in more than 30 media outlets, from The Atlantic, The Guardian and Fast Company to Huffington Post, Salon and BillMoyers.com.
Working with top writers, editors and visual artists, we cover income inequality and the decline of the American Dream; the enduring power of corporate interests and the influence of business Democrats in our bluest state; climate change and the uneven rise of the green economy; the polarized battle over public education; race, law enforcement and incarceration; and the epic demographic changes foreshadowing the U.S.’s coming shift to a majority-minority nation. Capital & Main also integrates coverage of California’s globally influential arts and entertainment sectors, with an emphasis on the intersection of culture, politics and social issues.
Capital & Main’s advisory board includes former Labor Secretary Robert Reich, author Barbara Ehrenreich and Vice President Joe Biden’s former chief economist Jared Bernstein. Board members include American Prospect executive editor Harold Meyerson, journalist Erin Aubry Kaplan and professor and author Manuel Pastor.
Based in Los Angeles, Capital & Main produces journalism that is indispensable to Californians and appealing to those far beyond our borders.
Ryan Grim at the actionnetwork.org: Awards:
- June 26, 2017 Capital & Main won the top award for non-political commentary at the 59th annual Southern California Journalism Awards, announced last night at the Biltmore Hotel. The story, “Is the Middle Class Being ‘Disrupted’ Into Extinction?,” was written by Alissa Quart and co-published by The Guardian.
- Capital & Main took second place in the prestigious website/news organization category, awarded in recognition of a publication’s entire body of work in 2016.
Support Capital & Main’s award-winning journalism
- Capital & Main also won second place for an investigative story by Joe Rubin on lead contamination at a Sacramento gun range, and finished third in three additional categories:
- Online hard news feature, for Piper McDaniel’s “High Times: The Hidden Poverty in Marijuana’s Black Market,” republished by Huffington Post
- Online lifestyle feature, for John Koopman’s “Uber Angst: A Driver’s Nights Behind the Wheel,” co-published by Fast Company
- Photo essay, for Ted Soqui’s photos in a series on California’s affordable housing crisis.